This Sunday, the Bible Study and Seekers Sunday School classes and their family members are invited to attend the in person church service. For those Bible Study and Seekers members (and their families) who are attending this Sunday, you can enter by the front doors (west) or the south automatic doors. All other doors to the church will be locked.
Sunday School Offering for In-Person Worship
If you would like to bring an offering on the Sunday you attend in-person worship, there will be an offering plate on a table at the back of the sanctuary where you can place your offering as you enter or exit the sanctuary. If writing a check, please indicate its intended destination in the memo line: for example, general fund, special fund (please name), or Sunday School.
You can also support BCMC and its work beyond this congregation by sending a check into the office, contributing electronically (https://bethelcollegemennonitechurch.org See the red “Support BCMC” tab), or by working with Finance Manager Mike Claassen to set up an electronic deposit system.
Esther Thieszen, will be 90 on April 1. Her family would like to have a card shower for her. The address for cards or notes is:
606 W Bluestem St
North Newton KS 67117
Congregational Learnings Survey
As we move toward beginning in-person worship after a year’s hiatus, this seems like an important moment for us as a congregation to reflect on our experience of this past year and what we have been learning together. The BCMC Pastor Team invites you to follow this link to share your thoughts by Friday, March 19. In the spirit of conversation with each other, a summary of the responses (without names attached) will be shared with the congregation.
Supportive Communities Network (SCN)
Carol Wise, Director of the Supportive Communities Network, (SCN) will be giving a presentation to BCMC and available for question and discussion Sunday afternoon, March 14, from 1:30-2:30. All those from the Bethel College Mennonite Church community are encouraged to participate. Please come with questions or comments that you would like to share.
The Zoom Link will be: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87040781903?pwd=cm40N1hmR3BVNDRaUnpScTBCQUJwUT09
Meeting ID: 870 4078 1903
The following day on Monday, March 15, you will be sent a survey to see if you want BCMC to join SCN. The survey will be open until March 29. Supportive Communities Network (SCN) is a program of the Brethren Mennonite Council for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Interests (BMC). It is a network of Mennonite and Church of the Brethren communities who are publicly affirming of gay, lesbian, transgender, and bisexual members. SCN’s goals are to offer support, resources and opportunities for dialogue among congregations which welcome gay, lesbian, transgender, and bisexual members; to encourage meaningful dialogue at the denominational level; to offer support and resources for individuals who are working toward welcome.
March 7, 2021 Offering at BCMC: General Fund $8,899; Sr Hi Youth $175; Caring Fund $25; Living Stones $640; Transfer-Sunday School $40; Levi Minkevitch Memorial $25
Bethel College Announcements:
Save the dates for upcoming events at Bethel College:
– Sun., April 25: KIPCOR Peace Lecture with Leonard Pitts (virtual). Registration is now open at kipcor.org
– Fri.-Sat., April 30-May 1 (including Saturday matinee): spring play, I and You by Lauren Gunderson (in person)
– Sun., May 2: Outdoor choral concert
Western District Conference announcements1. WDC invites prayer for the people of Myanmar in the midst of conflict and violence in their country. Pray especially for God’s care and peace for WDC congregation Chin Emmanuel Baptist Church and Pastor Simon Tlumang in Houston, TX, as they carry concern for friends, family members, friends and home communities in Myanmar.2. The WDC Resource Library will host a Zoom discussion on Michele Hershberger’s book Why Did Jesus Die and What Difference Does it Make? at 7:00pm on Thursday, March 25. Contact the library (firstname.lastname@example.org) to borrow a copy of the book or to register for the discussion.
3. All women and girls are invited to the Western District Women in Mission 2021 Spring Soiree Thursday, April 8 at 7:00 pm. In lieu of attending our annual Spring Supper, gather with us for a virtual night of worship, music and a reflection on “Faith in Turbulent Times” offered by special guest speaker and freelance minister, Georgia Metz, M. Div. Special music will be provided by Erin Regier Graber and Addie Regier Kauffman. Email WDWM2021SpringSoiree@gmail.com to register by April 5. A zoom link will be sent to registered participants prior to the event.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
1. Pick up your Verenike Casserole Meals on March 13! For all who ordered meals supporting Camp Mennoscah’s summer youth program, thank you! Pick up meals at Moundridge High School on March 13 between 5:30-6:30pm. Enter the west drive and stop in front of the school. There will be buckets for your donations where you pick up your meals. (Suggested minimum donation of $15 per meal.) We’ll see you on Saturday!
2. One Day Event for Grades 7-12! Camp Mennoscah’s Youth Volunteer Day is a full day of service projects, worship, lunch & socially distanced fellowship on March 20! Register online, email email@example.com or call 620-297-3290. Masks are required.
3. We are ready to rock! Preparation for the Amphitheater Improvement project was completed in the Summer of 2020 and we are ready to finish this project up. Work days are scheduled for the following days: March 12 to 13, March 26 to 27, April 2 to 3, April 9 to 10, May 14-15. These opportunities to get involved are on Fridays and Saturday, come on out for one or both days, and part or all day. Ask about lodging if you would like to stay overnight. A team of five volunteers will work from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm each day installing the new stone benches. There will be stone to cut, move, clean and set along with a whole lot mortar to mix up. Bring a lunch and water bottle with you when you come, and plan to arrive at the North cabin area to check in around 9:00 am. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 620-297-3290 to volunteer for this project.
4. Looking for kitchen staff and nurses! Camp Mennoscah is filling volunteer and stipend positions for kitchen staff and nurses for the upcoming 2021 summer. Contact Camp Mennoscah at email@example.com or call 620-297-3290 for available weeks and details. Kitchen staff can receive a scholarship up to full camp fees for their camper.
5. There are volunteer opportunities for you! Camp Mennoscah continually has year-round work to support the maintenance and upkeep of the campus and facilities. We can accommodate every group size, skill set and length of project you would like to tackle. Check out these ways to Get Involved! Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 620-297-3290 to volunteer.
Mennonite church announcements
1. Looking for a non-traditional pastoral role? Become a unit leader for Service Adventure, a gap-year program for ages 17-20 from Mennonite Mission Network. Unit leaders, who are at least 24 years of age, serve as mentors to the young adults in the Service Adventure household. Leaders are needed in Colorado Springs, CO and Johnstown, PA. Learn more by contacting SusanN@MennoniteMission.net.
2. Mennonite Education Agency Executive Director Search: The MEA agency profile and the job description are available at: www.MennoniteEducation.org. Interested persons are encouraged to apply for the position or to ask for more information by contacting Jolene VonGunten at the MEA office. Applications are invited through March 31, 2021. Mennonite Education Agency is headquartered in Elkhart, Indiana, and partners with Anabaptist Mennonite educational institutions and programs to provide resources, networking and support to school administrators, faculty and staff. As an agency of Mennonite Church USA, MEA ties church and school together in a complementary and cooperative way to ensure students receive a quality Anabaptist Mennonite education.
3. Lombard Mennonite Peace Center: For those who have already taken our Mediation Skills Training Institute (MSTI), we are pleased to offer a new one-day event: the MSTI Refresher Course! Sessions are available on Tuesday, May 11 and Saturday, June 12. The fee is $99, and the event runs from 9:00am to 4:00pm Central Time. The full five-day version of MSTI is also available on May 3-7, June 21-25, August 2-6, October 11-15, and November 15-19, 2021. The session in August will include the option for in-person attendance in the Chicago area. Registration for all events being offered by the Lombard Mennonite Peace Center is open now at www.LMPeaceCenter.org/ticketspice/. Questions? Please consult the attached MSTI Brochure, call 630-627-0507, or send an email to Admin@LMPeaceCenter.org.
Mennonite Mission Network Prayer Request: Join Mennonite Mission Network in praying for the two-day virtual meeting of Mennonite Voluntary Service staff and local unit leadership, which begins on Friday. Pray for them as they discuss opportunities for the future of the program, share best practices, and build relationships.
Western District Conference Prayer Request: Pray for the WDC Executive Board as they meet this week, and give leadership and oversight for conference vision and priorities.