June 1 marks the beginning of the new program year at BCMC. As we enter this new season, there will be a dedication in worship on June 6 for all who are investing their time energies, and skills on behalf of our congregation, including Commission, Committee, and Church Board members. We hope you can be there to participate in-person!
Service of Ordination for Pastor Renee Reimer
Sunday, June 6th at 1:00 pm
Over the past several months Pastor Renee has spent time discerning and preparing for her ordination. She met with a clearness committee of BCMC members and spent time reading and reflecting in preparation for her Ministerial Leadership Commission (MLC) interview on Friday, May 21st. The church board also voted to approve and support her into this call toward ordination. On Friday, the MLC offered their support of ordination following her interview.
All are invited to an outdoor service of ordination on Sunday, June 6th beginning at 1:00 pm in the Peace Garden. Bring a blanket or a lawn chair.
Pastor Dawn will be on vacation June 7-20. If you have a pastoral concern during that time, please be in touch with Pastors Nathan (June 7-20) or Renee (June 7-12).
Memorial Service for Esther Rinner
The memorial service for Esther Rinner will be on Thursday, June 10 at 11 am at BCMC. All are welcome to attend the service in the sanctuary and a meal and time of fellowship afterwards at the Sand Creek Event Center, 1601 S. Anderson, Newton. Due to COVID-19 precautions, windows will be open and masks required while we are gathered inside the church building. If you are unable to attend in-person, the service will be live-streamed and recorded. It can be accessed through the BCMC homepage on our website by clicking on the green live stream button.
Vacation Bible School
Bethel College Mennonite Church is teaming up with Casa Betania, Faith Mennonite Church, First Mennonite Church, New Creation Fellowship, and Shalom Mennonite Church to offer Vacation Bible School the week of June 28- July 2, 2021. At home VBS bags (filled with lessons, crafts, and activities) will be delivered to homes before the week of June 28, pre-recorded dramas and music with familiar faces will be available, and an in-person field day will take place on Friday, July 2nd from 9-11am. Sign-up here if your child ages 3-5th grade would like to participate.
Summer Sunday School for Children
Outdoor Summer Sunday School for Children and Youth will take place July 4, 11, 18, and 25 on the BCMC playground. All ages are welcome as we will be playing outdoor team building games together.
Abuse Prevention and Response Policy survey
June 8th is the last day to complete the Abuse Prevention and Response Policy survey using this electronic form. Hard copies of the policy proposal and survey can be found in the Gathering Space. Hard copies of the survey can be returned to the collection box found in the Gathering Space. Thank you for taking the time to read through the policy proposal!
|Press the link below for the attached proposal.|
BCMC Offering for May 30, 2021 General Fund $5,487.58; Transfer-General $100; Living Stones $5; Women’s Fellowship $50; Phil Koontz Memorial $2,145.
2021 Kansas MCC Sale is July 2 and 3!
Please take a moment to visit the KMRS table in the sanctuary at any time during the coming weeks. A sign up for pies, zwieback and other baked goods will be available with bags and tins provided. Anything is welcome!
Run for Relief forms can be found at the table, or by visiting the KMRS website at kansas.mccsale.org.
Volunteers for working are needed and are being asked to sign up at the website kansas.mccsale.org. Click on the volunteer link.
Contact people are Dale and Margo Schrag, 316-283-6031 and Dennis and Kathy Campbell, 316-416-5156.
Let the Light Shine!
New Hope Shelter Announcement
For anyone considering becoming an evening volunteer at New Hope Shelter, this is a summary of the duties of evening volunteers:
- After arriving at 5:00, meet the New Hope staff evening coordinator and review the board that has photos of residents.
- Help prepare the serving area for the evening meal at 6:00, and help serve the meal. Take care of any leftovers and wash the dishes in the dishwasher, clean up the kitchen area.
- Help residents prepare sack lunches for the following day.
- There will be time to interact with the residents, and this is encouraged.
Anyone wanting to serve is asked to take a brief orientation. Contact Valetta Seymour with questions: 620-217-7536, firstname.lastname@example.org
Western District Conference announcements
1. Staff Announcement: WDC Administrative Assistant Nancy Funk has announced her plans to retire August 31, 2021. She writes, “I am so grateful for the opportunity that I’ve had to work at WDC for the last 17+ years. My decision to retire at this time comes with mixed feelings of excitement for what’s ahead and sadness for what will be left behind. I have enjoyed my work very much and felt valued in my role. Working with the various staff members over the years and learning to know many pastors and others has indeed been a blessing to me. I also look forward to a new chapter of life and the possibilities that it brings.” We are grateful for Nancy’s faithful service to WDC, and will be making plans to recognize Nancy and prepare for this transition on the WDC staff. More information will be announced later.
2. Information about the WDC Annual Assembly (July 30-Aug 1) will be emailed to churches and pastors this week.
3. BIG NEWS from the Western District Women in Mission! The Women’s Retreat at Camp Mennoscah will happen in-person this September! Details are being discussed but please circle the dates of Saturday, September 11 and Sunday, September 12 and consider joining our fellowship and reconnecting. Of course, some things will look different including no programming for girls, only meeting on Saturday and Sunday, building use being limited, bodies being one year older, etc. We’ll send out more details and registration information later this summer; hope to see you there!
Mennonite church announcements
1. Join Jerusalem Seminar this winter! Bethel College and Tabor College are again sponsoring a trip to Jordan, Palestine, and Israel, from December 26, 2021, to January 15, 2022. The four emphases of the trip are to (1) understand the Bible in its context, (2) learn about the three major religions of the area (Judaism, Islam, Eastern Christianity), (3) understand the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, and (4) take time for reflection, worship, and prayer together. There is currently room for additional persons to participate. If interested, contact Peter Goerzen (email@example.com) immediately. Cost is estimated at $4700-$4900 per person.
2. Mennonite Church USA has announced the list of in-person and online equipping seminars for youth and adults for this year’s hybrid MennoCon21 convention, to be held July 6-10 in Cincinnati, Ohio, and online. Learn more here: https://www.mennoniteusa.org/seminars-mennocon21
3. Glen Guyton, the executive director of Mennonite Church USA, has partnered with Dove’s Nest to help churches keep children and youth safe. For tips, resources and to learn more about Guyton’s work with Dove’s Nest, read this news release: https://www.mennoniteusa.org/keep-boys-safe
4. Mennonite Church USA responded to a proposed resolution from South Central Mennonite Conference (SCMC), calling for the dissolution of the conference. SCMC delegates will vote on the resolution at their assembly in July. “Our prayers are with the communities and people of SCMC,” said Glen Guyton, executive director of MC USA. Learn more here: https://www.mennoniteusa.org/responds-scmc-proposal
5. When life gets hard, it is difficult to find the peace. In her blog, “Feel the Peace,” Ana Alicia Hinojosa, who will be the July 6 worship speaker at MennoCon21, reflects on her conference topic by grappling with where the peace goes when everything feels like it is falling apart. https://www.mennoniteusa.org/menno-snapshots/feel-the-peace/
6. Retired Mennonite Church USA Executive Board staff member Carol Epp passed away April 24. Menno Snapshots re-shared the blog “Remembering Carol Epp: A Reflection on Her Service” as a tribute to her many years of service. Read it here: https://www.mennoniteusa.org/menno-snapshots/remembering-carol-epp/
Prayer Request for Mennonite Mission Network
Praise God with Mennonite Mission Network for the dedication of Service Adventure leaders who are transitioning into other ministries this month. Pray for Cindy Headings (four years), Michelle and Rudy Moyer-Litwiller (three years), and the Eric and Julie Yoder family (three years).
Prayer Request for Western District Conference
Pray for WDC children, youth and their leaders participating in vacation Bible School, and at Camp Mennoscah and other camps this summer.