Interested in singing in Chancel Choir this fall? If so, please complete this short survey by following this link. Your participation in the survey will help choir directors plan for the coming year.
Pastor Renee Reimer at Camp Mennoscah
Renee will be leading input at Camp Mennoscah July 11-15
Pastor Nathan Koontz will be gone from July 11-19.
WOVEN INTO GOD’S STORY
The WDC Annual Assembly will be held July 30-August 1. This will be a “hybrid” event – some parts will be only virtual, other parts will be only on-site, and much of it will be hybrid with people on-site and virtual sharing together. The on-site parts will be held at Faith Mennonite Church, 2100 North Anderson, Newton, KS.The Assembly theme will be “Woven Into God’s Story” using Scripture themes from Colossians 2:2-7. Michele Hershberger, Bible and Ministry Professor, Hesston College, will be the keynote speaker and storyteller. Other storytellers will be sharing throughout the weekend, as well. For more Assembly info, go to: https://mennowdc.org/2021-wdc-annual-assembly/.
BCMC is urgently seeking delegates for the WDC Delegate Session (held virtually) on Saturday, July 31, 8:30-10:30am. If you would be willing to represent our congregation at this meeting, please contact Dale Schrag. Registration fees will be covered by BCMC.
Upcoming memorials services are being planned to remember these loved ones among us:
Nancy Mueller: Saturday, July 24, 3 pm, BCMC Sanctuary
Hartzel Schmidt: Sunday, July 25, 2 pm, BCMC Sanctuary
Rosalind Andreas: Saturday, Aug 21, 1:30 pm, BCMC Sanctuary
You are welcome to attend these services in-person. Services will also be recorded and/or live streamed. Following the services, cookies will be served outdoors (or indoors in case of inclement weather).
The 2021 issue of Mennonite Life, Bethel College’s annual online journal, is now live at ml.bethelks.edu, with articles and reviews by Brad Born, Rachel Epp Buller, Peter Goerzen, Raylene Hinz-Penner, Mark Jantzen, Jim Juhnke, Nate Kroeker, Alec Loganbill, Jacob Miller, Bethany Powls, Rich Preheim, Darrin Snyder-Belousek, Tara Schwartz, Anne Marie Stoner-Eby and Melanie Zuercher.
Bluestem Communities will host its annual community dementia forum, Innovations in Living with Dementia, as an online webinar on Wednesday, July 21, at 6:30 p.m. The presentation is entitled, “I Already Told You…Don’t You Remember?: Understanding Memory Loss, Dementia and Dementia Communication,” and is presented by national-known dementia educator Erin Bonitto. The webinar is free, and one credit of CEUs approved by the State of Kansas is available as an option for $15. Whether you’re a professional caregiver or someone caring for a loved one living with dementia, this learning session will help participants focus on what the person with Alzheimer’s Disease or other dementia needs you to know. Register at bluestemks.org/dementiaforum. Registration is required. Spaces are limited.
The Prairie Bronze Handbell Ensemble will be in concert Sunday, August 1, 3 pm at the First Prebyterian Church, 900 Columbus, Newton. See the poster here.
Western District Conference invites you to visit our website at https://mennowdc.org/ to read the latest news, stories and announcements!
- WDC Assembly Seminars & WebinarsPosted on: July 7, 2021READ AND DOWNLOAD
- Basic Immigration Law TrainingPosted on: July 6, 2021READ AND DOWNLOAD
- Bethel College Biennial Worship and the Arts SymposiumPosted on: June 29, 2021READ AND DOWNLOAD
- WDC Staff position openingPosted on: June 16, 2021READ AND DOWNLOAD
Western District Conference Announcements
1. Shaking up the WDC Assembly worship Saturday evening (July 31)! Virtual participants, grab your supper at home, and onsite participants, get your supper from a food truck (at Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS), then join us for a time of worship and communion around the supper table. We hope you’ll join us for this and other creative worship times, seminars/webinars, and more July 30-August 1 as part of the WDC Annual Assembly. For more Assembly information, go to: https://mennowdc.org/2021-wdc-annual-assembly/.
2. WDC Assembly Sunday Worship: How can we join August 1 Assembly worship? Join us in-person at 10:30 am at Faith Mennonite Church, 2100 N Anderson, Newton, KS. Or worship via YouTube Live at 10:30 am wherever you are. Or watch the recording on our WDC YouTube channel at Western District Conference (MC USA) whenever it is convenient for you. Join us for Friday (July 30) worship at 7 pm in any of these ways, too!
3. Storytelling opportunity! WDC’s Annual Assembly theme is “Woven into God’s Story.” StoryCorps has invited WDC to partner with their storytelling project, One Small Step, to share and record our own stories within WDC. OneSmall Step is an initiative to facilitate online conversations between people of different viewpoints and life experiences. (Facilitators are bilingual, so conversations may be either in Spanish or English). Thank you to those who have registered to participate in this initiative! We are still seeking additional registrants to meet the number needed for the project, so StoryCorps has rescheduled WDC’s virtual recording days for October 7-9 (instead of July). With this change in dates, participants will be matched with a conversation partner from the WDC community OR from the StoryCorps national community, to make sure everyone has an opportunity for a conversation. This means you still have time to sign up! To register, go to https://onesmallstep.storycorps.org/wdc/. To learn more, see these examples of One Small Stepstories.
Mennonite Central Committee’s monthly newsletterIn Touch can be read here.
Mennonite Disaster Service’s Volunteer Update can be viewed here.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
1. Family Weekend at Camp Mennoscah on July 17-18! If you’re looking for a weekend to escape, this retreat offers a smorgasbord of camp activities for you to choose from and plenty of time to be with your family and friends. Register at campmennoscah.org and contact 620-297-3290 with questions!
2. Extra help needed for summer youth camps! Camp Mennoscah has paid and volunteer positions for grounds, maintenance and custodial positions. Volunteer kitchen staff is needed for July 18-24; willing hands and the ability to follow directions is all that is needed. Contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details. You will make camp an amazing experience for everyone!
3. August 28 is the next Work Day at Camp Mennoscah! We’ll remind you again, but save the date. You make camp great!
Everence to hold Medicare webinar: Tuesday, July 13
Everence will host its popular workshop, Make Medicare an easy step, as a webinar on Tuesday, July 13 at 6:30 p.m. Attendees will learn about the various Medicare plans and what they cover; plans that supplement Medicare; and enrollment details and deadlines. This webinar is free. Please register by contacting our office at 877-467-7294, 316-283-3800 or email@example.com.
*Attendance is recommended for those approaching retirement or those ready to sign up for Medicare.
Securities offered through ProEquities Inc., a registered broker-dealer, member FINRA and SIPC. Investments and other products are not NCUA or otherwise federally insured, may involve loss of principal and have no credit union guarantee.
Products and services offered through Everence Trust Company and other Everence entities are independent of and are not guaranteed or endorsed by ProEquities, Inc., or its affiliates.
Mennonite Mission Network Prayer Request: In Bangladesh, India and Nepal, Community Health Evangelists (CHEs) have received special permission from their governments to work, despite COVID-19 travel restrictions. Mennonite Mission Network requests prayer for the CHEs, who care for the sick and share the good news of God’s love throughout Asia.
Western District Conference Prayer Request: Pray for the WDC Ministerial Leadership Commission as they meet this week, and offer support and accountability for ministerial leadership in the conference.